Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs however, we’ll be adding egg receipes to the site as well as advice on how to keep hens. So, to start with, this is how you boil an egg!
Step one. Place egg in a small pan and cover with at least 2.5cm (1″) of cold water. Add a pinch of salt and place the pan on a high heat.
When the water is almost boiling, set a kitchen timer for one of the timings below:
- 3 minutes for really soft boiled yolk and set white
- 4 minutes for slightly set yolk and set white
- 5 minutes for firmer yolk and white
- 6 minutes for hard boiled with lightly soft yolk
- 7 minutes for firmly hard boiled
Reduce the heat so that it keeps the water bubbling rather then fast boiling. Then, after the alloted time, remove the egg from the pan with slotted spoon, place into egg cup and serve immediately with hot buttered toast soldiers and a pinch of salt or pepper.
There’s nothing quite like the comfort food of boiled eggs and soldiers……..!